Friday, July 09, 2010

"THIS is what we're all about."

I wish I could take credit for those words in the title of this post, but I can't. Those words belong to Kathy Gornik, our fearless leader, after she read an email that I forwarded to everyone here from a customer who kindly wrote me a play by play of the day his brand new CS2.4s were delivered to his home. It's such a great story, I wanted to share it with anybody and everybody. He also kindly gave me permission to do just that. So with permission from Mr. S., here it is …

The speakers arrived yesterday.

Quite the event as my wife reports it.  A giant tractor trailer partially blocks our little country road, so the neighbors come out to direct traffic.  I'm not sure they are as interested in making sure the John Deeres can get by as much as they're interested in gawking at the giant "THIEL" (?) boxes rolling up the lane. 

My wife calls to report the arrival. I can tell she's not happy with all the attention.

I suffer through the rest of the day at work, calling to "check" on the boxes several times.  "They're not in the sun, are they?"  My wife finally sends an iPhone pic labeled:  "baby picture".

I want to text back asking if she can pose my two real children in with the boxes as well, but I think better of the idea.

My wife suffers through my distraction that evening as I clear out "her" room to serve as a testing room.  My intention is to "break-in" the speakers here, and it's clear that my spouse is hoping they break-in quickly, very quickly.

It is interesting then, that it's my wife who is running her hand over the dark cherry finish as they're freed from the cartons, "They really are beautiful." 

And when they're finally set up (although I've long ago decided what track to play first) she's again in the room, this time with a CD containing McCartney's Mull of Kintyre. 

I frown, I don't recognize the CD, it's probably a poor recording.  "Would it be ok to play this one?," she asks, "I went to this concert with my mum and sister."

As the first notes come through these new speakers, my mind's preoccupied with critical observations.

Meanwhile, tears are running down my wife's face.

And, as I tried to retell the story to my honey last night, tears just about streamed down mine as well.

You're right, Kathy. THIS is what we're all about.

'til next time.
df

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Posting!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I always loved Thiel speakers from afar since I am an SET (single ended triode) tubophile, and currently much in love w/my 45 tubes amp @ 2.5 WPC. Are there any plans in Thiel's future to produce high efficiency speakers of th 98db or higher variety?

Eagertrader

9:09 AM  
Blogger Tim Smith Audiophile Enthusiast said...

I have a pair of CS2.4's in Dark Cherry on order. I am in the process of selling my CS1.6 speakers in Natural Cherry to help with this purchaase. I cannot wait to hear the CS2.4's, especially after their break in period. I will probably act the same way. I feel like a kid waiting to open gifts on Christmas morning.
They will be powered by a Primare A33.2 amp (200W @ 4 ohms per channel) and I have a Primare PRE30 preamp.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home